Sunday, August 23, 2009

Testing, testing, 123...

HALLO VON BELGIEN! Oder... Voilà un petit bonjour de Belgique! In reality, I have yet to make it to Germany as I am still in Belgium visiting friends and host family here that I have not seen since my departure in '06. To tell the truth, the thought of a me_in_germany (though that domain name was taken) hadn't even crossed my mind until a whole lot of people mentioned it upon my departure. So here I go. It'll probably take a while to get this up and running as I have minimal time sur l'ordinateur de Régine, but I'll get there eventually. In the meantime, welcome! (Willkommen, Bienvenue!)

My flight across the big blue was pretty uneventful, thankfully. I spent the night at a good friend's place in Brooklyn, NY the night before my big flight, and there discovered that lugging all my luggage through the NYC subway system over 5 or so transfers and many stairs was really, really not worth the cheap price. I took a taxi in the next day and was overcharged like CRAZY (still upset about that), but at least I got there safely and in the divine comfort of air conditioning.

I flew from JFK to Dublin, landing at about 4.45am their time. I was taken aback by how golden and... swirled the pattern of streetlights looked compared to other places while flying over Ireland. It was quite berautiful, but not as much as the having the whole universe on display outside my window while flying over the Atlantic. I didn't sleep much on the long-haul flight and was hoping to sleep some more on my flight from Dublin to Brussels. Once in Dublin, we had to go through security all over again, which meant lots of people waiting in long lines very early in the morning. The only plus side to that was chatting with the very handsome fellow on his way to Paris who had been across from me on the flight from JKF. (P.S. I had my row to myself on that flight - yesssss. Also, the entertainment system and tofu dinner on Aer Lingus flights rock. ) Long story short, I found myself surrounded by a very loud and immature Irish basketball team of high school aged guys on my flight to Bruxelles, so no sleeping there. Once in Bruxelles, I had to wait a while outside to airport for Régine to appear in the car because of horrid traffic. Sarah, my younger host sister (now a mother of a 2-yr-old at 26ish), was with her. I was embarrassed to find on the ride home how slow my French was returning with my extreme lack of sleep, but thankfully it has since returned.

Since I've been here, I've spent a lot of time at Régine's swell café talking with people and playing around with Elisa, Sarah's adorable daughter. Yesterday Régine and I went to visit our old Turkish neighbors that I love very much and spent a lot of time with during my year here. Régine moved in with a great fellow in Binche two years ago, so she hasn't seen much of Zaidé, Akkun, and Atilla since then. It was great to see them again, on both sides I think. Then lastnight Christelle, Paulo, and their almost 3-yr-old daughter, Thaïssa, came for dinner to celebrate Régine's/my birthday. We ate yummy things. It was great. Ouais.















This afternoon Régine and I are going to an ancient farming celebration and then I'm going to go hang out with my dear school friends, Aurélie and Anne-Hélène. Hopefully I get to see Claire tomorrow (HOORAY!) and then I'm spending the night in Bruxelles with my friend Olivia before taking the train the next day to Germany, where I will quite happily spend the night with Jonas' family. They will take me to Hamburg the next day (Wednesday) and a whole new adventure will begin.

The only other thing I'm going to mention before walking to the café (I can feel Jonathan shooting me death glares from the couch behind me) is how surprised I am at how much things really haven't changed. I came expecting huge differences, especially with the café, Régine having moved in with a man and with all the babies, but they really haven't. Everything looks the same. Everyone talks about the same things. The personalities are the same. The problems are the same. It's really quite interesting.



Voilà, Jonathan, j'ai fini.

4 comments:

  1. First comment! Yessss! Please say bonjour to Regine and Sarah and Christelle for me, and give a good kick to J's balls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see they have double rainbows in Deutschland, too! And that they have a Margaret Metzler - so lucky for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Margaret! Sounds like you are having a blast. Good luck and enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, kidlet. Time for another posting! (But thanks for the phone call--I'm just greedy!)

    ReplyDelete