Sunday, October 28, 2012

In which we greet a sparkling blue day.

Yesterday I ventured out of the city for the first time in two months to attend a rather smashing celebration in home sweet Detmold. Getting there involed willpowering myself out of bed-- a task made easier when accompanied by the treetops across the way being dunked in freshly brewed sunshine. The road trip was to begin on the other side of the Elbe, which meant taking the ferry across the river. Despite the upper deck of the boat being covered in ice crystals, I couldn't help but stay outside and take pictures while awkwardly cradling my teamug in the crook of my elbow. Here's what there was to see:

 
















The ferry is a regular part of the public transportation system. It runs every 15 minutes and is used by both commuters and tourists looking for a cheaper alternative to the traditional harbor tour. There's an observation deck on top and a cosy sitting area inside, complete with a little café (now selling both ice cream and Glühwein-- mit und ohne Schuss).

 


My drool froze to the car window as we sped through frosted green countryside for three hours, dotted with horses, cows, wind turbines, bundled dog walkers, and distant valleys, still sleepy under misty blankets. Slowly the sun crept higher, smoothing color back into the world as it went.




There was talk of snow that morning in other parts of the country. Maybe we'll sight some of that soon, though I'm not ready to let go of my favorite season quite yet.

1 comment: