Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cup o' soup days.

I've still got this nasty head cold eating all my energy, not to mention my face. My one down day was nice, but suddenly I've found myself very busy with homework and trying to figure out cheap travel and research for a big presentation that I have to give next week, among other things. Good thing tomorrow will be better!

This morning I tried putting on a healthy mindset and went to the Brahms Museum with Liz Chase where a cute little old lady told us lots of cool things about the famous and deliciously talented Hamburgian composer. Basically, Hamburg loves Brahms. For example, upon his death in Venice, all the ships and buildings in Hamburg hoisted black flags in mourning. They even have his death mask that was made just after he died. (It was a liiiiittle disturbing.) A very interesting and completely unrelated fact we also learned from her was that the most tourists that came to the museum were Japanese. Go figure. (This point was later proved when a huge Japanese tour group arrived, cameras flashing wildly, just as we were leaving.) We also tried to find the place where his house once stood and failed. Actually, it wasn't a total fail because we got to walk around in the pretty sunlight. (I'm trying to stock up before the notoriously gray and rainy Hamburg winter hits.) Then we headed to the library to research things and had more orientation things before going home to crash/do lots of work.

In other news, we've now been here a month and all my pants are too big. That's something I didn't anticipate.

Not the most interesting week ever. I'll try to do crazier things this weekend to make up for it.

2 comments:

  1. :-D I'm sending this to all my Brahms-obsessed friends. Been listening to a lot of Brahms myself, recently. His violin concert stirs my soul.

    Best of luck with your work, mine schatz! I have quite a bit, too. Revising an essay tonight and catching up with little things I've let build up... much love!

    Today's Google non-word: glysteot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brahms' first symphony played an important part in my life around--oh--25 years ago. When that horn sounds with its clarion tone-things get clearer. I could use a little horn about now.

    Sleep well, little one. All the angels and saints watch over you.

    ReplyDelete