Friday, April 16, 2010

Frühling blüht.


Liebe Mutter Natur,
Vielen Dank für das schöne Wetter diese Woche.
Mit herzlichen Grüßen,
deine Margaret
xoxo

Spring has finally come out to play in the great frozen north. We've seen a delightful amount of glorious sunshine this week. Not all of it was warm sunshine, but it has its moments. The plants have started doing that thing where they explode into funny shapes and colors, sidewalk sweepers are working full time, strawberries are getting cheaper, everyone and their mother and baby stroller are in a constant state of perambulation, and I can finally revel in sleeping with my window cracked open, falling asleep with the delicious night air. Well, by which I mean I try to fall asleep while my insomnia enjoys the delicious night air. Can't win all the time.

Other noteworthy passings before my melatonin kicks in:

1. The Mighty Hair-Growing Experiment hath met its end. Several weeks ago, actually. After not being allowed to cut my hair for the play, I decided it would be a good opportunity to see if I could grow it out again. Nope. However, the nice lady at the salon refused to cut it as short as I wanted, so now it's already too long. I think she just wanted my monies. Also, this little adventure taught me how little hair-cutting vocab I had. Sigh.

2. I somehow mysteriously injured my foot. Ever since the weather improvement, I started running again in the morning and have been walking LOTS instead of using the bus. Several days ago, the top of my foot started hurting, which then suddenly became a full-blown funky-limp-worthy hurt a couple days ago. I managed to find an ace bandage at a pharmacy and since there is no ice in Germany (and the snow is gone), I sat around for a while this afternoon with bricks of cold butter and a container of frozen lentil soup encompassing the victim. The fact that the pain has recently relocated to my ankle doesn't make me any happier. It makes walking slow and painful, not to mention ridiculous looking, but I don't have any other options. It's not like I can miss class. Tomorrow I'm going to be nicer to it and don't plan on leaving my bed 'til the late afternoon (which means I'll have opportunity to update more!). ...And yeahyeah, if it's not better soon, I'll gimp my way to a Hausarzt. No worries.

3. Speaking of injuries, my thumbnail is almost 3/4 black now and doesn't hurt a bit. It kind of amuses me, but grosses everyone else out. :D

4. Thanks to today's brilliant technology, I was able to attend my amazing brother's amazing senior recital in New Jersey via Skype. Basically, he is the coolest, most talentedest guy ever and I am so proud of him. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

5. It's past 1am and the crazy German ducks are still quacking. One would think that this would be annoying, but I kindof love them.

I think it would be a good idea to finish updating when I haven't been awake for almost 20 hours.

Which reminds me, I have a cute anecdote from this evening: Sarah borrowed my giant pillows a while ago so her brother would have somewhere to sleep during his visit and tonight I had to lug them home again on the bus. It was after 11pm and when I got on, the bus driver smiled and warned me not to fall asleep. This surprised me as bus drivers usually don't interact with you like fellow human beings and because it was late and I was sleepy and generally zoned out. I wished him a good night when I got off the bus. It was a cute exchange.

Eine gute Nacht wünsche ich euch auch.

3 comments:

  1. Schlaf gut, mein Lieber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I miss class all the time. Don't tell!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I'm studying the 12 flute fantasies by Georg Philipp Telemann rather intently, who I believe spent much time in deine fair city. Seen anything interesting you wanna tell me about?

    ReplyDelete