Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saxy saxes.

Behold, a fantastic new musical discovery! At the beginning of the year, I noticed a jazz club called Birdland (no points for originality) advertising LIVE music while waiting for the bus near a friend's dorm. I noticed it each time I came and went from said dorm over the course of the year, but never really connected it to the thought of actually going inside. Luckily enough, one of the new people on our program (a fab percussionist) did have such a thought and found out about their free Thursday night music and jam sessions. He invited people along the next week, so I went along to check out the scene.

It's located in a basement and has a very cozy jazzy feel to it with a crowded, but comfortable atmosphere, little tables, and multi-leveled sitting areas focused on the small stage. The place was packed, and for good reason. A visiting band plays for about an hour, after which the stage is opened to anyone that wants to make music. It's a very cool opportunity for the less-advanced players to play with pros, and as it's jazz, I find that the different mixes of instrumentation and experience always sound great.

Here are some photos I took during my first visit. It was a sax-heavy evening, which was fiiiine by me.






I believe we're making Thursday nights at Birdland a solid tradition from now on. Now I'm just bummed I didn't check it out sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment