Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Breakfast Date: Banana Nut Muesli Concoction

I can't stop consuming this deliciousness. While eating my fifth (sixth? seventh?) bowl of this beautiful glop, I figured I might as well share it with the breakfast-loving people of the world. Thus commenceth The Recipe Posts. (I figure that even if no one cares to try them out, it at least gives me an excuse to take moodily lit photos of food. And then look at them. Yum.) Listen up!

What you need:
  • plain yogurt
  • honey
  • half of a ripe banana
  • your favorite crunchy granola
  • pecans, walnuts, nuts of choice
  • fresh dates (or a hot date)
  • milk
  • modify at will
 Musik: something gentle & joyful, preferably with good harmonies

This adventure begins with a mighty dollop of yogurt in your favorite breakfast bowl, mightiness dependent upon size of bowl and appetite. I use about half a cup.  Dazzle your yogurt with a drizzle of honey (make sure to create a cool design) according to your sweetness preference, then stir it all together and give it a quick lick. It's best if you leave it a bit too sour because you're about to surprise it with a whole lot more sweet. Go bananas briefly while quartering your banana half and then slice the chunks into the mix. Make sure: a.) your banana is soft and sweet and not green, and b.) the chunks make a pleasant "plop" sound when they hit the yogurt. No(n/m)chalantly add a layer of granola. (I use about a third of a cup. ...Interesting how "I use about third a cup" doesn't work here. Hm.) Now we go nutty! But not too nutty, mind. Break up a few walnuts and pecans or whatever, no more than three each for my bowl, and scatter them artistically on the breakfast pile. (I shouldn't need to say this, but just in case, don't use salted/otherwise flavored ((ie. wasabi)) nuts!) Carefully chop one or two of your fresh dates into little pieces (do stop if they start to protest) and lay the pieces dotingly on top of Mount Muesli, making sure they don't stick together. Finally, top it off with a tablespoon or two of milk (not too much or you get runny muesli soup!) and mix it all together into a thick, chunky breakfast stew. Do that cool trick with the spoon.

(Dirty little secret: This deliciouses at all times of day and night. Try it as an evening snack!)

Guten Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Margaret my dear thing, I would very much love it if you were to write an entire cookbook in this fashion.

    ReplyDelete