Sunday, September 18, 2016

In which we get a protest, a city tour, and a healthy dose of vitamin D.

Dunno if it made the news in the US what with the Very Important Media Coverage of Donald Trump formally announcing that Barack Obama was born in the US (which, ugh.), or the detailed health reports of the presidential candidates (which, just, ughh.)..., but today, hundreds of thousands of people took to the streets in Germany to protest the shady and, well, less-than-democratic creations/formulations of the TTIP and CETA trade agreements, not to mention some of the eyebrow-raising to downright frightening rules they could put in place in the world. In total, the number 320,000 protesters across the country is being thrown around, with numbers from 30,000 to 65,000 people in Hamburg alone. I don't know how they count these things (and that is a rather significant difference, eh?), but frankly, I don't care for the digits. What moved me was the damn lot of people taking to the streets in this city that I love, all kinds of people, peacefully standing up for their rights, using their voices and bodies as symbols as they, as we, filled the streets. I'm not pretending to be terribly informed on the subject. I'm not -- most everything I know about it I learned today from the internet, from my friend with whom I went a-marching, and from the tens of thousands of other people marching with us. 

Here are a few impressions taken along the way, on a beautiful day in the Hansestadt.


("Daddyyy, protesting makes me soooo sleepy.")














P.S. And while we're on the topic of pretty/inspirational things, how about a spice-ily spectacular ginger plum square?


1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like democracy is working there better than here. . . .

    ReplyDelete